Sunday, June 13, 2010

#184: Serenity of a Sleepy Sunday

The morning was a difficult sequel to a difficult night. My routine was really thrown yesterday by missing my radiation treatment in the morning. The whole of Saturday seemed out of whack, and got worse as the minutes crawled by. Church this morning was a physical ordeal. Now, the world seems like a much more peaceful place.

All day yesterday I was pursued by these spasms of nausea. The the right side of the base of my tongue has really started to get sore, especially if I swallow or yawn. Most annoying of all, the ringing in my ears that the chemo nurse promised me has begun in earnest. Not painful, but definitely a nuisance. So "wah, wah, wah," I have plenty to cry about today.

This morning I woke feeling better, slept pretty well through the night, but Mrs P was exhausted from all her acomplishments yesterday. I confess to using a little emotional blackmail to pressure to go to church. Not proud of that, but I know we both always feel better about being there than we do about geting up to go. Church was a real strain on me. The trip in wasn't so bad, but the seats, the music, the people, it all just started to wear me out. Early in the sermon, which was very good, I had to leave the nave and sit alone in the side chapel. There is a sofa in there, and my friend Nathan brought me a cup of cool water and a loving pat on the cheek to soothe my face.

Is there anything so healing as a tenderness shared between friends?

Mrs P snuck out soon enough and had ice chips for me. She even managed to make a cool rag materialize. We sat together quitely while the preacher preached, the people prayed, and the body of Christ set about doing the work of God in the world. I was struck by the length of the announcements as much as their content. Not about meetings and get togethers, but about service opportunities. Chances to help. Our church's patron is St Martha, the sister who stayed in the kitchen to do the dishes. It was founded in that spirit, and as best we can, we try to stay true to her example.

I was reluctant to go back to church for a long time after a terrible fall-out at my last parish home. I thought I had finally found the church where I could really fit in - the church where my strange combination of Liberal Charismatic Presbyterian Anglo-catholicism could match up with a nest that made sense. Finally, as we will always do, the humans screwed it up. We hurt one another, over and over, often with the best of intentions. My mental health required that I separate myself from the place and the people I had loved, and I miss them every day. But I don't think I can go back. Nostalgia is no substitute for the Holy Spirit. And nostalgia is what calls me to that place.

When I first got sick, I met with our priest, Tim. I had attended services at St Martha's, but was not really a part of the parish family. I said that I didn't want to feel like a hypocrite. "Oh, gee. I'm dying. I better get to church so I can make sure there's someone to throw me a funeral." Tim assured me that there might be other benefits. He was right, of course. He's a good priest.

Home again, half a baked potato for lunch, then nap time. When I awoke a few hours later, Mrs P and Mum were both dozing like angels. Even Jake was stretched out in front of one of the air conditioner vents. I padded through the house as quietly as I could, just taking them all in. All these beautiful people who were here, pouring themselves out to help me stay alive. I watched my Mother sleeping, so vulterable with her glasses off.

There is a serenity to this waiting, so different from last week when I was waiting for everything to begin. Now we wait for all the medicine to do its work. We wait for the healing, and the side effects. We wait for the next treatment. We wait for morning and for a nap to end.

I guess we're waiting on God, too. When it comes down to the last word, God will decide what comes next. I haven't always thought too much of how that plan is unfolding, but for now, waiting is OK with me.

Changing the things I can change,
Accepting the things I cannot,
And doing my best to tell the difference.

Peace, Y'all,
pennsy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Label Cloud

mrs p Cancer running lifting weights LIVESTRONG at the YMCA treadmill weight nutrition depression God Living Strong at the Y injury YMCA dogs mom walking radiation Weight Lifting cardio friends program theatre body fat long slow run love One for the Five aches elliptical race resistance bands stretching 5K Acting Jeff Galloway chemo doctor family mental health Church Pittsburgh Marathon bluegrass fundraising inspiration patience personal trainer recovery Flying Pig Marathon Jesus Johns Striders Race Report Run the Bluegrass Half Marathon bipolar frustration kentucky knees measurements morning promatx yoga Christmas Marathon Pennsy's Greatest Hits cats clothes heart rate hope lance armstrong life molly poetry rest side effects steelers swimming 10K Actors' Guild of Lexington Blog CT Scan Coach Carrie PET Scan cross training exercise fear feeling good groin healing ice cream livestrong nausea powerlifting run/walk/run stair climber surgery Cancer Fighter Cold Gear Hills Iron Horse Half-marathon Job LSR Mum Nike+ Shamrock Shuffle 3K achilles advent arboretum bmi bodyweight exercises changes charity circuit training cycling dad deadlift diabetes encouragement experts give up goals horses interval training jake kettlebells lean body mass new rules of lifting pacing personal best plateau prayer recumbent bike research shoes sleep strength teeth therapist toe video Blood Easter Endurance Funeral Garmin 405 Homecoming House Insurance Juicing Keeneland Legacy Night PR Pennsyltucky Pittsburgh Relapse Run This Town TRX Training Values aflac arnold ben-gay bench press chafing christian compression shorts dentist dreams faith fat fatigue foreclosure good day half marathon hospitality javarunner john's run/walk shop lou schuler new year nurse pains peg tube powercage progressive resistance. racing rain rapture reboot runners world squat sun block supplements team pennsy tired weather will rogers work #3rightThings 9-11 ACSM AIDS Aquaphor Blessings Bluegrass 10K CSN Cancer Boy Cedar Hill Charles Dickens Class of 82 Classes Colby Road College Compassion Courage Crowdrise Cystoscopy Dee Diet EFM Epiphany Fall Fartlek Fat Man Fat Sick and Nearly Dead Frankfort Gadgets Gramma Grampa Gratitude Grete Waitz Guest HITT HIV Hell Holding Hands Holy Saturday Homer Horse Capital Marathon IVP Ice bath Jacuzzi James Taylor Jesus wept Joe Cross John Izzo Joy KY LaDonna Leg Day Lent Lessons Lexington Little Pennsy Mental hospital Midsummer Night's Run Mindfulness MobileFit Negative Splits Old Frankfort Pike Pilates Podrunner Pre-race Priorities RICE Railrunner 10 Miler Random thoughts Resurrection Reunion Run Bob Run Run Report Run Review Run for the Gold 3K Running Form Running for Sabrina STUPID Shakespeare Skip Brown Speed Spinning Summer Of Speed Sunrise Supersets Tao Te Ching Thank You The Wall Three Right Things Toxic Passenger UK UK basketball Urine Urologist Victory Walk of Shame Warrior Westminster Whole Foods Wind Words Zumba ace bandages addicted agony alwyn cosgrove america anger antibiotic anxiety awake back baseball blood clots blood pressure body glide bonhoeffer books brad calories chinup colonoscopy consistency crazy cycles dentures dip dr. google dumbbells elevation facebook failure farts feet fight for life fitness forgiveness frankenpennsy fun getting started glucosamine glutes goal gremlin grenz grumpy hair hamstrings hiccups high school hot ice incarnation indian food jogging john lennon joint legacy trail liniment lunges machines maker's mark mapmyrun.com medicine ball meds mercy motivation motley fool music nature neighborhood new balance nike noah numbers pennsyltuckian periodization persistence phlebitis postmodern prison professional boundaries progress psychiatrist pullups pushups quads ramble rememberance renewal road running ronnie coleman rowing safety sauna scan-ziety sexy shopping shorts shower sick sleepless snow socks spandex star trek statistics steam room steroids stiff strained muscle strap strength training supination support surgeon survive swackett swiss balls table technology tempo terry bradshaw testicular torsion text thai food that's fit the five thighs walk breaks warm up water fitness water jogging weak wedding ring wellness wife winter workout writing yardwork